Hello my faithful bookworms! Can you believe 2016 has come and gone? So many books so little time (ain’t that the truth for bookworms everywhere?). I had a pretty successful book reading year, clocking in 50 books! My goal for the year was to complete this reading challenge and branch out of my normal “reading comfort zone” by picking up some books I may not normally be drawn to, but alas, I was sucked in once again to the YA fantasy and fiction world. I also went on a thriller/suspense binge there for a little while. C’est la vie! Take a look at my reading list for the year, I didn’t get to all the categories but I certainly read some goodies!
Because I am a fan of lists, and (obviously) a (hugely enormous insane) fan of books, I wanted to do a little recap to highlight my top 3 favorite books of the year. Now this is hard people. I have read some truly amazing books this year, but these three in particular were stand outs to me for many different reasons.
3) The Way I Used to Be (Amber Smith)- This book was deep with the feels. Truly heartbreaking, it really does a spectacular job of showing what a devastating effect sexual assault has on an individual and the ripple effect it creates in its wake. This should be on every highschool reading list for sure.
2) The Grisha Trilogy (Leigh Bardugo)- I know this is technically three books and I am also aware that this series ended in 2014, not in 2016, but they were new to me this year AND this is my list so just let me have my moment ok? I absolutely fell in love with the fictional land of Ravka. The tumultuous plot kept me enthralled from start to finish. It doesn’t hurt that the villain was also a heartthrob.
1) Harry Potter & The Cursed Child (JK Rowling)- Of course HP would top my list of books for 2016. Although written as a play and not a traditional novel, it brought back all the feels to be transported back to the magical world of Harry Potter. I found the new characters delightful and story line was solid and well imagined. 2017 goal? Go see the play in NYC!
2016 books were good to me. Who am I kidding, books are always good to me, but now it’s time to look forward to 2017. Here’s what I’m most excited to read this year!
- Peace Talks: Dresden Files #16 (Jim Butcher)- I have been a fan of Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files for YEARS. This series is top 3 of all time for me (next in line Harry Potter series and the Outlander series). A humorous, sarcastic wizard detective in Chicago battling all things that go bump in the night? I could read him forever. There is no official release date as of now, but the sooner the better!
- Lord of Shadows (Cassandra Clare) – I am super stoked for the next book in the Dark Artifices series. I can’t get enough of the Shadowhunter world and am pumped to see where this one takes us!
- Carve the Mark (Veronica Roth)– Really enjoyed her trilogy Divergent (minus that ending- dang Veronica what were you thinking?!). I have high hopes for her next series and can’t wait to get my hands on a copy come January 17th!
- The Romeo Catchers (Alys Arden)– May 23rd I can finally dive back into the vampire city of NoLa and catch up with Adele, Nicco, and Issac.
I’m sure I’ll fall in love with many more books in 2017, and hope to continue to read more books outside of my norm. I plan on (attempting) another reading challenge and found this awesome list if you are looking to challenge yourself as well, you can find a printable version here.
What are some of your top reads for 2016 and what are you most looking forward to reading in 2017?!
Happy Reading friends!